Pages

Friday, May 25, 2007

#016, WHY BUILD A BRIDGE WHEN A GUSH OF ARROWS IS SUFFICIENT?

RAMA SETU (RAMA'S BRIDGE)

Rama in his self-praise forgets the practicability aspects. Context: Rama was addressing the Ocean, to give him way, so that he can build a bridge.

6-22-3 Sanskrit Verse
(YUDDHA KAND`A), CANTO OF WAR
Chapter 22
Mat kaarmuka nisrisht`eeena
sharavarsheen`a Saagara
param tiiram gamishyanti
padabhir eeva plavan`gamaaha.


CONTEXT
Rama was standing on the sea shore. He was asking the Ocean to give way for his army. He addressed the Ocean:

ENGLISH GIST
By the gush of arrows emerging out of my bow, Oh Ocean! our Vaanara men can go to the other shore.

This writer's observation: Sending gush of arrows enabling the army to cross the ocean, is a simpler thing when compared to asking the army to pool and carry stones and fill the ocean for building a bridge. Then, why Rama does not use the gush of arrow technique? Rama has unnecessarily fatigued the army which is doing him a gratuitous service.


Using the gush of arrows would have obviated his need to use the missile of CREATOR (Brahmastra) at 6-22-5. Enveloping the world with darkness and shaking the mountains could have been avoided.

3 comments:

Innocent said...

Dear Multisubj YB,

I have come across your blog today through another blog "Just Jo". I find your blogs quite interesting and intellectually stimulating. I think I shall be visiting your blogs regularly.

Please keep up your intellectual efforts.

If I may be permitted to make one suggestion, I feel it would help if you had a short note on each blog, in the sidebar, mentioning in a nutshell what the objective of the blog is.

I was also wondering what YB stands for. I haven't been able to figure it out so far.

I very much admire all the effort you have put into your blogs. I too started to blog, but was not able to motivate myself enough to continue. :(

Your hard work, and intellectual bent of blogging, as opposed to the mere recording of trivail and random thoughts, (as is usually the case in most other blogs), is very inspiring.

Yours faithfully,
Innocent.

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

Thank you Mr. Innocent. I shall reply your questions shortly.

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

YB = just initials.